Mikkel A. Thomassen
Mikkel A. Thomassen
Mikkel holds a Master of Science (MSc) in Sociology and a PhD.
With a theoretical background in economics and organisation, the main interest of Mikkel is to foster long-term strategic innovation and partnership-based collaboration between professions and end-users. Transforming initial ideas within the building industry to commercial value and allowing for “bottom-up” innovation in highly institutionalized industries has been in the core of his research and consultancy for the past 20 years.
Mikkel has an extensive overview of innovation agendas in the built environment seen from political as well as commercial point of view. He believes that a cross-disciplinary approach is the key to success whether enabling companies to develop new services or providing policy recommendations for governmental institutions.
In recent years Mikkel has been responsible for several initiatives aiming at commercialising new solutions and partnerships within water management and climate adaptation.
Key achievements includes:
- Leading 7 consortiums from idea to ready for market commercial climate services and climate adaptation solutions
- Founding two companies with +20 employees
- Creating partnership-building strategies for major public clients in Denmark
- Launching the Water Technology Alliance that export products and knowledge within water to the US-market
- Promoting projects and services focusing on new financial and collaborative schemes within highly regulated and tradition-based industries
In addition, Mikkel has authored several papers, analyses, articles, and books. Among these a methodical handbook on the development of climate adaptation solutions in dense urban areas and ongoing analyses of the Danish market for climate service in terms of quantitative evaluation of the market potential but also in terms of characterizing the market and identifying market barriers.